Green Team announces Waste-Free Lunch days!
Did you know one child’s disposable lunch generates an average of 67 pounds of waste each school year? Our average lunch waste is much lower, thanks to our student Green Team volunteers. They monitor every lunch period to assist students in properly using our compost and recycling bins. The Green Team wants your help reducing the lunchroom waste even more with Waste-Free Lunch days. Show your support of Madrona as a Washington Green School and the importance of environmental stewardship by packing lunches with no plastic baggies or wraps on the last Friday of each month. The first Waste-Free Lunch Day of 2017 is February 24th.
Why pack a waste-free lunch?
- Landfills are reaching capacity and incineration creates air pollution.
- Funds not spent on trash removal can be put to better use.
- Empower our kids to make positive changes for the planet.
- Eliminate the need for processed, pre-packaged foods.
- Teach our kids that even small efforts can add up to big impacts.
You can visit http://ecolunchboxes.com/pages/lunch-study for more information.
What does a waste-free lunch look like?